What Do the Different Terms on the Web Mean? copywritingdirect mailinternet businessinternet marketingsocial networkingweb 2.0
Don’t know your CPC from your CTR, or your SEO from your RSS?
Fear not; it’s very likely you’re not as alone as you may think.
Being a bit of dummy, I’ve decided to put together a list of terms even I can understand.
And if I can understand, I can almost assure you can, too.
Leaving out the absolute basic terms such as www, ISP and URL, I’ll list the less basic terms here:
- Web 2.0 This the basically the name given to all the different technologies and trends being bandied about on the net.
- RSS Short for Really Simple Syndication, this is an internet technology which allows you to receive notification of updates to a site without having to constantly visit it.
- Blog Short for weblog, this is a personal online journal where you can put down your thoughts… like an online diary open to the world.
- Cookie A small text file sent to a user’s computer by a website so the user can be used recognised if he visits that site again.
- Podcasting Simply put, this is series of audio or video files made available to users to view or listen to, particularly via mobile devices.
- Spam Commercial email sent out to users without them asking for it.
- Keyword A word users can type into a search engine to find certain products or services.
- SEO Search Engine Optimization is the process of making a site more visible on the internet, hence making it easier to find by user, such as by using relevant keywords.
- CPC Cost Per Click A way to pay for online advertising by being charged only when someone clicks on your advert.
- CTR Click Through Rate The number of people who click on a link when they see it.
- ROI Return On Investment How much profits are made or how much loss is avoided on a product or service.
- Social networking Various sites on the internet which allow people to get in touch, make friends and generally ‘socialise’ online.
Hopefully, this short list will make things a little easier on the web, but let me know if there’s anything else you feel should be on there.
- How To Make Crazy Commissions Without A Website Or Product - July 14, 2019
- SEO Tools to Turbocharge Your Website’s Rankings - March 8, 2019
- What Would You Like To Ask Ted Nicholas, The $7 Billion Dollar Man? - February 20, 2019